Irish PGA champion Michael McGeady fired a fabulous eight under par 60 to win the gross in the North Western Golfing Alliance outing at Dunfanaghy on Saturday.
The Derry man took advantage of light winds and soft greens to tear the course apart.
He birdied the first two holes and then picked up a hat-trick of birdies from the seventh to turn in five under 28 before coming home in three under 32 for a blemish free card and a seven shot win over local professional Seamus McMonagle (67).
Portsalon’s John G McBride was third with a 68 while in the nett Faughan Valley’s Alan Chung had 42 points to win by two from City of Derry’s Keelan Quigg with Strabane’s Maurice McGettigan third and North West’s Delwyn Montgomery fourth, both with 39.
It was Chung’s second win of the season following his victory at Ballyliffin in October and the surprise was that he beat a one-handicapper in Quigg into second place.
There is just one more counting event in the Golfer of the Season battle and it’s a two-horse race with Michael McGeady leading by 10 points from Brian McElhinney with only 10 points up for grabs for the winner of the March 8 outing at Rosapenna.
In the nett section, five members are still in with a chance — Odran McGettigan on 26, Eddie McHugh on 25 and Maurice McGettigan on 22. Alan Chung and Clive Davison are the outsiders on 20 and 17 respectively.
North Western Golfing Alliance, Dunfanaghy on 1st March 2014 (Par 68 SSS 67)
- Alan Chung (18) Faughan Valley 42 Pts
- Keelan Quigg (+1) City of Derry 40 Pts
- Maurice McGettigan (16) Strabane 39 PTS B.O.T.
- Delwyn Montgomery (9) North West 39 Pts
- Glenn Hinds (10) Faughan Valley 38 Pts B.O.T.
- Eugene Corry (10) Newtownstewart 38 pts B.O.T.
- Michael McGeady (+3) North West 60
- Seamus McMonagle (scr) Dunfanaghy 67
- John G McBride (scr) Portsalon 68
- Daniel Gallagher (2) Dunfanaghy 69
- Brian McElhinney (+3) Foyle Golf Academy 70
- James Lindsay (1) North West 71 B.O.T.
“2” s M Houston, S Quigg, G Duffy, J Harley, J Coyle, M Doherty.
Next outing: 8th March in Rosapenna Golf Club.
Captains Prize, North West Golf club, 22nd March