Letterkenny's Eamonn McGlinchey won Brian Wallace's Captain's Prize in the final Northwesterm Golfing Alliance outing of the season at Dunfanaghy.
Playing off six, he went around in just three over par 71, notching 20 points on each nine.
In the nett section, 20 points was the average score for the first nine by the front runners and Kevin Hunter must have thought that he was only there to make up the numbers when he had recorded only 14 points for the first eight holes.
However, his putter warmed up after a birdie at the par-three ninth and he proceeded to return a level par gross for the next 10 holes, racking up 22 points on back nine to win with 39 points on a count back from George McCay and Kieran O’Neil.
In the gross section, the scoring was excellent although only the sixth prize went to countback Golfer of the Year Finnian O’Doherty was third with a level par 68 with Marty McDermott (67) second and Mick McGeady the clear winner thanks to a four under 64.
He reeled off five 3's in a row from the first, and 10 in all, with his only mistake a bogey at the sixth.
North Western Golfing Alliance
Captain's (Mr. Brian Wallace) Day
Dunfanaghy Golf Club, Saturday 21st March, Par 68 SSS 67
- Eamonn McGlinchey (6) Letterkenny 40 pts
- Kevin Hunter (10) Faughan Valley 39 pts [b.o.t]
- George McCay (18) Strabane 39pts [b.o.t]
- Kieran O’Neill (13) Portsalon 39 pts [b.o.t]
- Eamonn O’Carroll (12) Letterkenny 38 pts [b.o.t]
- Alan Chung (19) Faughan Valley 38 pts [b.o.t]
- Clive Davison (12) Portsalon 38pts [b.o.t]
- Michael McGeady (scr) North West 64
- Marty McDermott (3) Strabane 67
- Finnian O’Doherty (1) Letterkenny 68
- John G McBride (scr) Portsalon 69
- Seamus McMonagle (scr) Dunfanaghy 70
- Jamie Foley (3) Letterkenny71 [b.o.t]
- Graham Cummings (10) City of Derry 38 pts
The 2015-16 season will begin at Letterkenny Golf Club on 26th September under the Captaincy of David Forbes of Faughan Valley Golf Club.