Lurgan’s Annabel Wilson gave herself a pre-Espirito Santo boost when she challenged the leaders before finishing tied eighth in the Ladies' British Open Amateur Stroke Play Championship at Knock.
The talented teenager made a title charge when she surged up the leaderboard in 34, mix six pars with birdies at the fourth, fifth and eighth to get back to level par for the tournament.
It was won in the end by Sophie Lamb on one under par but while Wilson wobbled a little on the way home with a five over par back nine adding up to a 75, it was nevertheless an excellent performance ahead of her debut in the World Amateur Team Championships in Mexico later this month.
Lamb lifted the trophy by two shots from Chloe Williams of Wales after final rounds of 72 and 74 as overnight leader, Italy’s Alessia Nobilio closed with a 79 to finish in a tie for third.
Clandeboye’s Jessica Ross carded a steady final round 74 to finish in a tie for eight as Castletroy’s Chloe Ryan finished 81-71 to finish in a tie for 17th.
Round one leader, Mairead Martin from Killarney shot a final round 84 to share 33rd with club mate Valerie Clancy in 38th after a 78.
The Team Award / Nations Cup was won by Italy’s Alessia Nobilio, Caterina Don and Clara Manzalin with a two round total of 293. England were a close second with 294 with Ireland’s Niamh McSherry, Chloe Ryan and Jessica Ross taking third.
Ladies' British Open Amateur Stroke Play Championship, Knock Golf Club (Par 73)
- T6 Annabel Wilson (Lurgan) 297 77, 74, 74, 75
- T8 Jessica Ross (Clandeboye) 299 73, 74, 78, 74
- T17 Chloe Ryan (Castletroy) 304 75, 77, 81, 71
- T33 Mairead Martin (Killarney) 312 71, 79, 78, 84
- 38 Valerie Clancy (Killarney) 315 79, 78, 80, 78
- T42 158 Niamh McSherry (Lurgan) 81 77; Victoria Craig (Royal Belfast) 79 79
- T48 161 Aedin Murphy (Carlow) 81 80
- T51 162 Gemma McCarthy (Clonmel) 82 80
- T54 165 Louise Coffey (Malone) 88 77
- T56 166 Jenny Fawcett (Shandon Park) 86 80; Meadhbh Doyle (Portarlington) 81 85
- T58 167 Hilary Hall (Enniscrone) 86 81; Be Coulter (Kirkistown Castle) 83 84; Rachel Thompson (Cork) 82 85
- 62 168 Maeve Rooney (County Sligo) 84 84
- RTD Shannon Burke (Ballinrobe).
Par 73, SSS 76, Slope 140
CSS - Wednesday 31st August - 76
CSS - Thursday 1st September 76
CSS Friday 2nd September R1 76 & R2