Maybe it's the €1,800 entry fee (£1,400) but there are "just" 22 Irish entries for the First Qualifying Stage of the EuropeanTour Qualifying School - six fewer than 12 months ago.
We say 22, but it may be 21 if the "Joe Dillow" entered for Frilford Heath next month turns out to be clerical error as Headfort's Joe Dillon goes at Collingtree Park next week.
While Naas amateur Jack Hume is exempt into the Second Stage as one of the leading five entrants in the top 15 in the World Amateur Golf Ranking at the end of August, he will be joined there by any number of Irish players from the Challenge Tour or European Tour, depending on their ranking.
The first of eight First Stage events begin on Tuesday with Clontarf PGA professional Eamonn Brady, Naas amateur Conor O'Rourke, Ardglass' Cormac Sharvin, Killeen Castle's Rick Weldon and Royal County Down's Reeve Whitson at The Roxburgh in Scotland and Mount Juliet's Stephen Grant at Fleesensee in Germany.
See entry form for exemption details
European Tour Qualifying School 2016
- Eamonn BRADY Clontarf GC
- Conor O’ROURKE (AM) Naas Golf Club
- Cormac SHARVIN Ardglass GC
- Richard WELDON Killeen Castle GC
- Reeve WHITSON Royal County Down G.C
- Stephen GRANT Mount Juliet GC
- Richard BRIDGES Stackstown GC
- Rory MCNAMARA La Cala Resort
- Colm CAMPBELL Jnr (AM) Warrenpoint GC
- Brian CASEY
- Joe DILLON Headfort GC
- Dermot MCELROY Ballymena GC
- David CAREY
- Declan LOFTUS Breaffy House Resort
- Gavin MOYNIHAN Mount Wolseley GC
- Tim RICE Limerick GC
- Brian KELLY (AM) Atalaya GC
- Jonathan CALDWELL Clandeboye GC
- Joe DILLOW
- Niall KEARNEY Royal Dublin
- Mark MORRISSEY (AM)
- David RAWLUK The Island GC