Ireland drew with England on the opening day of both the Women’s and Men’s Home Internationals at Conwy in Wales.
The Girls were grateful in the end to share the spoils as Julie McCarthy and Mairead Martin staged comebacks to win their points and halve the match 4.5-4.5.
But the Women’s team may feel that they let the title holders off the hook as they led 2.5 to 0.5 after the foursomes but won just two of the six singles to end up sharing the spoils 4.5-4.5.
One of the keys to England's comeback was Meghan McLaren's 3 and 2 win over Curtis Cup team-mate Olivia Mehaffey in which she captured the 11th, 14th and 16th to take the point after Gemma Clews had a two-hole win over Louise Coffey in the top match.
Sophie Lamb had an impressive 5 and 3 win over the experienced Paula Grant before Jessica Ross fell 4 and 3 to Elizabeth Prior.
Lahinch’s Sinead Sexton, four up after eight, cruised to a 5 and 4 win over Emma Allen as Curtis Cup star Maria Dunne edged out Olivia Winning 3 and 1.
Wales beat Scotland 6.5-2.5 to lead the women’s table while in the Girls’ matches, Scotland are on top following their 7-2 win over Wales.
The Ireland -England match was level — 1.5 apiece — after the morning foursomes and the singles were shared 3-3.
Defeats for Annabel Wilson and Niamh McSherry put England two points ahead as Emily Price (3 and 1) and Lily May Humphreys (3 and 2) scored good wins.
But Ireland did not fold with Valery Clancy cruising to a 6 and 5 win over Sharna Dutreiux.
Julie McCarthy, dormie three down to Amelia Williamson, won the last three holes under great pressure to halve the match.
Rachel Thompson, five up after six holes against Louisa Brunt, was hit by a great spell from the English girl who won the seventh, eighth, ninth, 10th and 12th to square the contest.
Thompson got her nose in front again by winning the 17th but Brunt kept calm and won the 18th to share the honours.
Ireland needed to win the last match to draw with England and they did with Martin, two down after six, coming back to win the match with a win at the 18th and secure a 4.5-4.5 draw.
Women’s Home Internationals
Ireland 4.5, England 4.5
- Olivia Mehaffey & Louise Coffey bt Samantha Giles & Emma Allen 7&5
- Jessica Ross & Paula Grant bt Meghan MacLaren & Olivia Winning 2&1
- Maria Dunne & Jessica Carty halved with Gemma Clews & Sophie Lamb
Ireland 2.5 England 0.5
- Louise Coffey lost to Gemma Clews 2 up
- Olivia Mehaffey lost to Meghan MacLare 3&2
- Paula Grant lost to Sophie Lamb 5&3
- Maria Dunne bt Olivia Winning 3&1
- Jessica Ross lost to Elizabeth Prio 4&3
- Sinead Sexton bt Emma Allen 5&4
Ireland 2, England 4
Girls’ Home Internationals
Ireland 4.5, England 4.5.
- Niamh McSherry & Valerie Clancy halved with Lily-May Humphreys & Amelia Williamson
- Annabel Wilson & Mairead Martin bt Louisa Brunt & Annabell Fuller 4&3
- Julie McCarthy & Lauren Walsh lost to Emily Price & Isobel Wardle 5&4
Ireland 1.5, England 1.5
- Annabel Wilson lost to Emily Price 3&1
- Niamh McSherry lost to Lily-May Humphreys 3&1
- Julie McCarthy halved with Amelia Williamson
- Rachel Thompson halved with Louisa Brunt
- Valerie Clancy bt Sharna Dutrieux 6&5
- Mairead Martin bt Isobel Wardle 1 up
Ireland 3, England 3.