Limerick’s young guns cruised to a 4-1 win over Athenry to clinch a sensational victory in the Fred Daly Trophy national final at Galway Golf Club.
Up against a formidable Kilkenny side in the morning semi final, Ivan Morris’ charges saw off the Leinster champions 4-1.
Ciaran Vaughan and Ross Fitzgerald ran up 4/3 wins against Kevin Power and James Everard respectively to lay the foundations of a huge win.
In the afternoon final the Limerick boys faced Connacht champions Athenry, who pulled off an impressive victory against Ulster champions, Holywood Golf Club from Belfast.
At one stage in the match, Limerick were up in all five matches and ran out comfortable 4-1 winners with wins for Sean Enright, Vaughan and Luke O’Brien in the top three matches enough for the Munster champions.
Fred Daly Trophy, Galway Golf Club
Semi Finals: Athenry 4 Holywood 1 (Athenry names first)
- Michael Sheil bt Ben Graham 3/2;
- Allan Hill lost to Tom McKibbin 2/1;
- David Kitt bt Keaton Morrison 3/2;
- Cillian Lawless bt Patrick Greene 2/1;
- Louis O’Hara bt Seb Ewing 1 hole.
Limerick 4 Kilkenny 1 (Limerick names first)
- Sean Enright bt Harry Duggan 2/1;
- Ciaran Vaughan bt Kevin Power 4/3;
- Luke O’Brien halved with Jeff Kealy;
- Morgan Hanley halved with Richard Duggan;
- Ross Fitzgerald bt James Everard 4/3
Limerick 4 Athenry 1
- Enright bt Michael Shiel 3/2;
- Vaughan bt Michael Kennelly 3/2;
- O’Brien bt Kitt 2/1;
- Hanley halved with Lawless;
- Fitzgerald halved with O’Hara.