Newly crowned South of Ireland champion Conor Purcell can achieve another first this weekend when he seeks long awaited Purcell glory in the Mullingar Electrical Scratch Trophy.
The 19-year old achieved something his famous father Joey never could on Sunday when he lifted the "South" at Lahinch.
Joey Purcell hails from Mullingar but never managed to lift the famous Scratch Trophy. But given his hot form, Purcell Jnr has all the assets needed to triumph at the great James Braid track over 72 holes on Sunday and Monday next.
"I have the Barton Shield Leinster finals with Portmarnock first and then I head down to Mullingar," Purcell said. "It's a four day weekend and It would be great to win the my Dad’s home town."
he leading 51 players qualify for the final 36 holes on Monday 1 August and Purcell faces tough opposition with the likes of Irish Close champion Tiarnan McLarnon, South semi-finalist Stephen Watts from Cairndhu, World Universities champion Robin Dawson and international Colin Fairweather taking on former winners such as Nicky Grant and Geoff Lenehan.
Mullingar has five players in the field with Liam Grehan and Gareth Carr both well capable of mounting a challenge and ending the home club's long wait for a maiden winner.
Mullingar Electrical Scratch Trophy 2016
Draw for Rounds 1 & 2 (Sunday 31st July)
- (0630/1130) Des Morgan (New Forest), Paul Burke (Mullingar), Thomas O’Connor (Athlone)
- (0640/1140) Ross McKinley (Mullingar), Jamil Sabir (Moate), Gareth Mann (Tullamore)
- (0650/1150) Gavan Flanagan (Mullingar), Robert Moran (Castle), Hugh Foley (Royal Dublin)
- (0700/1200) Billy McGarry (Nenagh), Eoin Long (Monkstown), Ian Lynch (Rosslare)
- (0710/1210) Matthew Grehan (Tullamore), Shane Hogan (Nenagh), Stephan O’Hara (Co. Sligo)
- (0720/1220) Paul O’Sullivan (Bray), Robert Neville (Portmarnock Links), Shane McDermott (Cavan)
- (0730/1230) John Conroy (Portmarnock), Stefan Greenberg (Tandragee), Anthony McDaid (Palmerstown)
- (0740/1240) Neville Steedman (European Club), James McVicker (Knock), Stephen Kinch (Hollystown)
- (0750/1250) Dale Jackson (Massereene), Karl McCormack (Portarlington), Gerard Dunne (Co. Louth)
- (0800/1300) Paul Carey (Nenagh), Shaun O’Connor (Luttrelstown), David Fay (Laytown & Bettystown)
- (0810/1310) Ross Kenny (Millicent), James Monaghan (Royal Dublin), David Reddan (Nenagh)
- (0820/1320) Rory Williamson (Hollywood), Gary Ward (Kinsale), Shane McGlynn (Portmarnock)
- (0830/1330) Jack Walsh (Castle), David Brady (Co. Sligo), Graham Nugent (Kilkenny)
- (0840/1340) Tiarnan McLarnon (Massereene), Liam Grehan (Mullingar), Conor Purcell (Portmarnock)
- (0850/1350 Colin Cunningham (Carton House), Stephen Watts (Cairndhu), Keith Egan (Royal Curragh)
- (0900/1400) Sam Sweeney (USA), Cathal Butler (Kinsale), Peter Kerr (Royal Portrush)
- (0910/1410) Nicky Grant (Shandon Park), Ronan Mullarney (Galway), Andrew McCormack (Castletroy)
- (0920/1420) John Hickey (Cork), Colin Fairweather (Knock), Declan Reidy (Co. Sligo)
- (0930/1430) Robin Dawson (Faithlegg), Stuart Bleakley (Shandon Park), Jack Pierse (Portmarnock)
- (0940/1440) Jake Whelan (Newlands), Caolan Rafferty (Dundalk), Joe Lyons (Galway)
- (0950/1450) Geoff Lenehan (Portmarnock), Gareth Carr (Mullingar), Jordan Hood (Ballymena)
- (1000/1500) Aaron Grant (Dundalk), T.J. Ford (Co. Sligo), Dave Lowry (Corballis)
- (1010/1510) Stephen Walsh (Portmarnock), Colin Woodroofe (Blainroe), Mark Shanahan (Dungarvan)
- (1020/1520) James Nipe (Royal Portrush), Keith Murphy (Charlesland), Brian Doran (Baltinglass)
- (1030/1530) Robbie Pierse (Grange), Cathal Nolan (Galway), Niall Pratt (Tascosa)
- (1040/1540) Patrick Neville (Bearna), Quentin Carew (Edenderry), Declan King (Tramore)
- (1050/1550) Stephen Brady (Galway), David McDonald (Old Conna), Kyle Dunne (Rosslare)
- (1100/1600) Conor Byrne (U.S.A), Michael Buggy (Castlecomer), Cillian Maloney (Fota Island)
- (1110/1610) Ted Collins (Dun Laoghaire), Jack McDonnell (Forrest Little), Colm Crowley (Woodbrook)
- (1120/1620) Devin Morley (Oughterard), Rob Brazil (Naas), Cian Healy (Ballyneety).