Ciaran O’Neil and Mick McGeady won the top prizes in the first North Western Golfing Alliance outing of the season at Letterkenny Golf Club.
The Alliance, which began its current existance in 1969/70, got its new season under way last Saturday with the 47th captain, Faughan Valley’s David Forbes. one of the early starters.
In the gross, it was Michael McGeady who took advantage of bright, windless conditions before heading for Q-School this week, carding a four under 68 to win by six shots from North West’s James Lindsay.
Long time Alliance member Ciaran O’Neill from Portsalon won the nett, carding 41 stableford points to finish three points ahead of Clive Davison (Portsalon) Keith Lapsley (Dunfanaghy) and Eddie McHugh (Strabane).
Prizes were sponsored by David Moore of Letterkenny Driving Range with John Doran (Letterkenny), Pat Corry (Strabane) and Paul Duffy (Faughan Valley) the winners of the first draw prizes.
Alliance Captain David Forbes congratulated all members, old and new, who played on Saturday and said he looked forward to seeing them and more members at the future outings.
There are still places available on the time-sheet for anyone wishing to join and. in a new departure this year, golfers who wish to make up a threeball or fourball on the day but are not actually members of the Alliance can tee it up on payment of a green fee.
North Western Golfing Alliance, Letterkenny Golf Club, 26 September
- Ciaran O’Neill (13) Portsalon 41 pts
- Clive Davison (12) Portsalon 38 pts [b.o.t.]
- Keith Lapsley (5) Dunfanaghy 38 pts [b.o.t.]
- Eddie McHugh (17) Strabane 38 pts
- John Bowe (20) Letterkenny 37 pts
- Eamonn Davis (12) Letterkenny 36 pts [b.o.t.]
- Michael McGeady (scr) North West 68 [-4]
- James Lindsay (1) North West 74 [+2]
- Jamie Foley (3) Letterkenny 75 [+3]
- Paul McGlynn (1) Foyle 77 [+5]
- Sean Quigg (scr) City Of Derry 78 [+6] b.o.t
- Stephen Martin (1) Foyle 78 [+6] b.o.t.
Twos — M McGettigan, T Meenan, R Godfrey, N Black
Next outing — Saturday, 3 October, North West Golf Club.