Richard Kilpatrick has a one shot lead heading into Tuesday's second and final round of the PGA Southern Championship at Powerscourt Golf Club's East Course.
The former East of Ireland champion from Banbridge carded a bogey free five under par 67 at the Co Wicklow venue to edge clear of David Higgins (Waterville), Mark O'Sullivan (Piltown Driving Range) and James Quinlivan (Mullingar GC).
Kilpatrick won the Ballyliffin Pro-Am in July and the 33-year-old was in fine form on Monday going to the turn in two under 34 with birdies at the fourth and sixth.
He continued to play solid golfon his back nine, adding further birdies at the 12th, 15th and 18th.
PGA Southern Championship pro-am winner, Michael McDermott (Pure Golf Leopardstown), is amongst the chasing pack after opening his account with a one under par 71.
The cut fell at five over par with 47 players making it through to today's second round. Defending champion, Peter Jones (Coollatin), was one of those to miss out after carding a six over par 78.
A shotgun start will be in operation for round two, with the players teeing off at 9am.
PGA Southern Championship, Powerscourt Golf Club – East (Par 72)
- 1 R Kilpatrick (Banbridge GC) 67
- T2 D Higgins (Waterville GC); M O'Sullivan (Piltown Driving Range); J Quinlivan (Mullingar GC) 68
- T5 M Kelly (Dun Laoghaire GC); D Mooney (Ballyliffin) 70
- T7 E Brady (Clontarf GC); M McDermott (Pure Golf Leopardstown) 71
- T9 G Robinson; J Dillon (Headfort GC); P Small (Galway GC) 72