Maynooth University's Gary Hurley will be gunning for some revenge when he meets American world No 34 Jack Maguire in the final singles session at the Palmer Cup on Sunday.
The Americans claimed seven and a half of 10 points from Saturday’s singles session to extend their lead to 13.5-6.5 at Rich Harvest Farms with Hurley falling 6 and 5 to Florida State sophomore Maguire.
The pair will meet again on Sunday with the USA needing just two points from the 10 singles to get the 15.5 points they need to reclaim the Palmer Cup.
Europe would retain the Cup with 15 points or better which means that they need nearly every thing to go their way at the Chicago venue — the opposite of Saturday's eventual session.
Thomas Detry claimed the first point four Europe with a dominating 5 and 4 victory against Lee McCoy.
Ollie Schniederjans was victorious the second match for Team USA, downing world No 1 Jon Rahm, 2 and 1.
That was as good as it got for Europe.
Hunter Stewart won the first four holes in his match against Mathias Eggenbeger and raced to a 6 and 5 decision before Maguire downed Hurley.
Maguire began birdie-eagle to go two up and birdied the fourth to extend his lead to three holes before Hurley cut the lead to 1-up with a birdie on No. 5 and an eagle at the seventh. However, Maguire won five straight holes beginning from the eighth to put the match away.
Robby Shelton ran Team USA’s winning streak to four in a row when he beat Rowin Caron, 3 and 2.
Max Rottluff put Europe back on the board, downing Carr Vernon, 1-up but after Kyle Jones and Adrian Meronk halved their match, Team USA won the final three matches of the day.
Anders Albertson defeated Clement Sordet, 2 and 1, Beau Hossler only led after the first and 18th holes in his 1-up victory against Mathias Schwab while Maverick McNealy won the day’s final match, 2 and 1, over Pep Angles.
Final round singles matches tee off at 8:00 am Sunday.
Palmer Cup, Rich Harvest Farms, June 13
United States 13.5, Europe 6.5
Third Round Singles
- Thomas Detry, Europe def. Lee McCoy, United States, 5 and 4
- Ollie Schniederjans, United States def. Jon Rahm, Europe, 2 and 1
- Max Rottluff, Europe def. Carr Vernon, United States, 1-up
- Kyle Jones, United States halved Adrian Meronk, Europe
- Robby Shelton, United States def Rowin Caron, Europe, 3 and 2
- Hunter Stewart, United States def. Mathias Eggenberger, Europe, 6 and 5
- Anders Albertson, United States def. Clement Sordet, Europe, 2 and 1
- Jack Maguire, United States def. Gary Hurley, Europe, 6 and 5
- Beau Hossler, United States def. Matthias Schwab, Europe, 1-up
- Maverick McNealy, United States def. Pep Angles, Europe, 2 and 1
Final Round Singles
- 8:00 am: Anders Albertson, United States vs. Clement Sordet, Europe
- 8:09 am: Hunter Stewart, United States vs. Thomas Detry, Europe
- 8:18 am: Beau Hossler, United States vs. Pep Angles, Europe
- 8:27 am: Maverick McNealy, United States vs. Adrian Meronk, Europe
- 8:36 am: Ollie Schniederjans, United States vs. Max Rottluff, Europe
- 8:45 am: Carr Vernon, United States vs. Mathias Schwab, Europe
- 8:54 am: Jack Maguire, United States vs. Gary Hurley, Europe
- 9:03 am: Kyle Jones, United States vs. Rowin Caron, Europe
- 9:12 am: Robby Shelton, United States vs. Mathias Eggenberger, Europe
- 9:21 am: Lee McCoy, United States vs. Jon Rahm, Europe