High winds made life hell for a host of Irish hopefuls at the first stage of the PGA Europro Tour Q-School in the UK.
There were 20 Irish among the record 411 strong entry battling to make it through the 36-hole tests at five venues and make it to next week’s Final Stage at Frilford Heath. But of the 20 just eight are in position to progress heading into Wednesday's final rounds.
The best of the bunch all shot three over 74s — Headfort's Brian Casey to share 11th at Mottram Hall, and multiple championship winners Simon Ward and Rory McNamara, who are tied 13th at Woldingham in Surrey.
PGA professionals Glen Robinson and Noel Quinn are also tied 13th after posting six over 77s at the Players Club in Bristol.
Too windy out there to be playing this golf lark..50km windy are never good for the swing 👎🌀❄️⛳️— Rory Mcnamara (@rorymc101) March 31, 2015
They were the hardest conditions I've ever played golf in today. Little sharper focus tomorrow and I'll jump up the leaderboard. 😴😴😴— Cian Curley (@CianCurley) March 31, 2015
PGA Europro Tour Qualifying School Stage 1
Burhill (37 to qualify)
- T59 Keith Shannon Greenore 81
- T66 Dan Murphy (a) The Heritage) 82
Mottram Hall (36 to quailfy)
- T11 Brian Casey Team Ireland Golf +3 74
- T35 David Rawluk The Island Golf Club +7 78
- T43 Simon Bryan (a) Delgany Golf Club +8 79
- T51 Bobby King Birr Golf Club +9 80
- T58 Cian Curley Newlands Golf Club +10 81
- T67 Mark Whelan Allied Pension Trustees +12 83
Players Club, Bristol (36 to qualify)
- T13 Glen Robinson Unattached +6 77
- T13 Noel Quinn Whipsnade Park Golf Club +6 77
- T26 Brian McCormack Edenderry Golf Academy +7 78
- T44 Michael Kelly Dun Laoghaire Golf Club +9 80
- T51 Darren Walsh Wexford Golf Club +10 81
- T75 Brian Sweeney Castle Fuels +16 87
- 78 Harry Coyne Unattached +18 89
Woldingham, Surrey (36 to qualify)
- T13 Rory McNamara La Cala Resort +3 74
- T13 Simon Ward Unattached +3 74
- T25 Nial Kearns Omagh Golf Club +4 75
- T57 Jonathan Breen (a) Kirkistown Castle Golf Club +8 79
- T57 Matt McAlpin The Ramore +8 79
Slaley Hall (33 to qualify)
- No Irish