Cork's Lisselan and Waterford Golf Club will contest Satuday's final of the AIG Jimmy Bruen Shield, writes the GUI.
Both clubs will be bidding for the first ever title when they tee off at 10.30am tomorrow on the O'Meara Course at Carton House. Lisselan were relatively comfortable during their semi-final victory against Connacht champions Strandhill but Waterford's match against Strabane went down to the wire.
In the end, Paul Mackey and John Hale came good for the Leinster champions, winning the 18th for a two-hole win in the second game, which proved decisive after the other four games were shared two apiece. Strabane were dominant at the back of the order with a 3&2 win in the fourth and a 4&3 win in the fifth but Waterford took the first three games to come through a tense semi-final.
Leo Hassett and Andrew Whelton led the way for Lisselan in the first semi-final, winning the opening match after just 13 holes. Raymond and Paschal Hayes won the third game on 16 for the Cork club and their place in the final was secure when Eoin Ryan and Cathal Kirby came through in the anchor leg.
AIG Jimmy Bruen Shield Semi Finals
Lisselan 3.5, Strandhill 1.5 (Lisselan names first)
- Leo Hassett & Andrew Whelton bt Robbie Henneberry & Ronnie Conlon 6/5;
- Paul Corcoran & Richard Fitton lost to Peter McDonnell & Ciaran Henry 2/1;
- Raymond Hayes & Paschal Hayes bt David Lindsay & Tristan Probst 3/2;
- Donnacha Crowley & Richard Fleming halved with Noel Tivnan & Brian Henry;
- Eoin Ryan & Cathal Kirby bt John Stewart & Dave Hannigan 5/4
Waterford 3, Strabane 2 (Waterford names first)
- Gary Dunphy & Pat Murphy bt Conor McCool & Liam Curry 1 hole;
- Paul Mackey & John Hale bt Frankie Gallagher & Andrew Connolly 2 holes;
- John Phelan & Michael Wall bt Kevin Connolly & Declan Devine 3/1;
- Barry Griffin & Chris Hoban lost to Damian McGranaghan & Shay Callaghan 3/2;
- Matt Holohan & Eamonn Rice lost to Gary Duffy & Ciaran Duffy 4/3
Saturday 20th September
AIG Jimmy Bruen Shield Final
10.30am Lisselan v Waterford (Lisselan names first)
- Leo Hassett v Andrew Whelton v Gary Dunphy v Pat Murphy;
- Paul Corcoran & Richard Fitton v Paul Mackey & John Hale;
- Eoin Ryan & Cathal Kirby v John Phelan & Michael Wall;
- Raymond Hayes & Paschal Hayes v Richard Gaule & Val Carey;
- Donnchadh Crowley & Richard Fleming v Barry Griffin & Chris Hoban