Seamus Power had to settle for a share of sixth place behind Kevin Roy in the eGolf Professional Tour's Championship at St. James Plantation.
The West Waterford man had a slender one-stroke lead entering the final round but slipped to a four over 76 to finish four strokes outside a playoff between Matthew Ryan and the eventual winner.
Roy entered Saturday’s final round trailing Power by one shot after a third-round 67.
But in Saturday’s final threesome alongside Power and three-time tour winner Ryan, Roy held his own early, overcoming a three-putt bogey on the par-five third with birdies at the fourth and seventh to turn at 5-under par – tied for the lead with Power and one clear of Ryan, who bogeyed the ninth after hitting his tee shot in the trees.
On the back nine of the Jack Nicklaus-designed Reserve Club course, Roy moved two clear with birdies at the 10th and 11th and eventually carded a 71 to finish tied with Ryan (71) on five under.
“Those birdies were huge for me, just to get a little bit of momentum going into the back nine,” said Roy, who won with a birdie at the second extra hole. “But, even with the lead at that point, I knew it wasn’t going to be enough. Those guys are both great players.”
Power, a three-time winner and the tour’s leading money winner, came unglued at the par-5 12th, recording a double-bogey after his second shot bounced off a tree and out-of-bounds.
A follow-up double-bogey three holes later dropped Power out of the mix, eventually leaving him to settle for sixth place and $4,050 that was enough to retain top spot on the money list with $25,414.
1. x-Kevin Roy, Tampa, FL, $15,000.00, *72-73-67-71-283 -5
2. Matthew Ryan, Santa Clarita, CA, $8,500.00, *69-70-73-71-283 -5
3. Vaita Guillaume, Papeete, Tahiti, $6,500.00, *69-71-74-70-284 -4
4. Jack Fields, Southern Pines, NC, $4,925.00, *76-69-72-69-286 -2
4. Ethan Tracy, Columbus, OH, $4,925.00, *74-71-71-70-286 -2
6. T.J. Howe, Osceola, PA, $4,050.00, *70-73-74-70-287 -1
6. Seamus Power, Ireland, $4,050.00, *71-64-76-76-287 -1