Letterkenny's Finnian O’Doherty wasted little time on his reinstatement to the amateur ranks when he defied high winds and driving rain to win the gross in the North West Alliance at Nairn and Portnoo.
The one handicapper, who learned the game on the Narin and Portnoo links, was only reinstated on Friday but had five birdies, six bogeys and a double bogey in a three over 76 to win by two strokes from fellow Letterkenny clubmate Jamie Foley and by three from Rosapenna's Marty McDermott.
Faughan Valley's Glenn Hinds had 38 points to beat Maurice McGettigan to the Nett on the last six after both had racked up 20 points on the front nine.
McGettigan is now tied for top spot in the Golfer of the Year race on 14 points with his brother Odran and Daniel Gallagher.
Numbers are down this year and anyone interested in playing in the North West Alliance should call to 00 353 87 248 8181 to book a place on the timesheet
Next outing: Ballyliffin Golf Club Glashedy Links, 15 November 2014
North West Golf Alliance Played at Narin/Portnoo Golf Club, 1 November 2014 (Par 73 SSS 73)
- Glenn Hinds (9) Faughan Valley Golf Club 38 pts b.o.t.
- Maurice McGettigan (17) Strabane Golf Club 38 pts
- Michael Houston (12) City of Derry Golf Club 35 pts
- Finnian O’Doherty (1) Letterkenny Golf Club 76
- Jamie Foley (3) Letterkenny Golf Club 78
- Marty McDermott (3) Rosapenna Golf Club 79
R Smallwoods, K Patton, John McBride (2 twos).