First round of West is postponed

High winds at Rosses Point have forced officials to postpone the first qualifying round of the West of Ireland Amateur Open until Saturday.

No play was possible this morning and following a series of course inspections, County Sligo GC was declared unplayable due to the danger of balls moving on the more exposed greens.

Connacht Branch officials found that winds of more than 50 kph (31mph) caused balls to move considerable distances on the second and fourth.

The Championship Committee will meet at 6pm today to discuss the possibility of extending the event to Wednesday with the second strokeplay qualifying round taking place on Sunday.