Leading qualifier Valerie Clancy remains on course for victory in the Irish Women’s Close Championship after she beat Roscommon’s Chloe O’Connor 4 and 3 in the first round at Enniscrone.
She now faces Maynooth University scholar Molly Dowling, a past Mid Leinster Women’s Champion, in the second round after the Lucan player beat Forrest Little and Auburn’s Julie McCarthy 3 and 2.
With some big names bowing out, including 2017 runner-up Ciara Casey, the Championship remains wide open.
Lahinch’s Sinead Sexton survived a scare after she was taken to the 23rd by 13-year old Emma Fleming from Elm Park.
Three down at the turn, Fleming held her nerve and holed a five-foot putt on the 18th to take the match to extra holes, then made a 10 footer at the 19th before she failed to get up and down for par at the fifth tie hole.
Hopes of a Connacht win now lie with Ballinrobe’s Shannon Burke after Enniscrone’s Hilary Hall was beaten by Laytown & Bettystown’s Eleanor Metcalfe.
In the Ita Wallace Trophy, Elm Park’s Leah Temple-Lang will take on The Heath’s Mary Doyle after she made six birdies in a 3 and 2 win over clubmate Anna Foste.
Grange’s Elisa Corcoran will face Shannon’s Lisa O’Shea in the other semifinal.
Irish Women’s Close Championship, Enniscrone
Round One - Sunday, 17 June
- Valerie Clancy (Killarney) beat Chloe O’Connor (Roscommon) 4&3
- Molly Dowling (Lucan) beat Julie McCarthy (Forrest Little) 3&2
- Lucy Simpson (Royal Portrush) beat Georgia Carr (Milltown) 2up
- Sara Byrne (Douglas) beat Beth Coulter (Kirkistown Castle) 5&4
- Deirdre Smith (Co. Louth) beat Clodagh Coughlan (Douglas) 3&2
- Sinead Sexton (Lahinch) beat Emma Fleming (Elm Park) 23rd
- Kate Dwyer (Rossmore) beat Lauren Walsh (Castlewarden) 1up
- Sarah Cunningham (Ennis) beat Kate Lanigan (Hermitage) 1up
- Jan Browne (Kilkenny) beat Ciara Casey (Hermitage) 2&1
- Eleanor Metcalfe (Laytown & Bettystown) bt Hilary Hall (Enniscrone) 2&1
- Jessica Ross (Clandeboye) beat Katie O’Hart (Courtown) 2&1
- Louise Coffey (Malone) beat Aoife Ní Thuama (Douglas) 2up
- Shannon Burke (Ballinrobe) beat Alison Taylor (Malahide) 5&4
- Meadhbh Doyle (Portarlington) beat Claire Staunton (Ballinasloe) 7&6
- Aine Donegan (Woodstock) beat Anna Dawson (Tramore) 3&2
- Maeve Cummins (Lurgan) beat Rachel McDonnell (Elm Park) 19th
Round Two – Monday, 18 June
- 09:00 Clancy vs. Dowling,
- 09:09 Simpson vs. Byrne,
- 09:18 Smith vs. Sexton,
- 09:27 Dwyer vs. Cunningham,
- 09:36 Browne vs. Metcalfe,
- 09:45 Ross vs. Coffey,
- 09:54 Burke vs. Doyle,
- 10:03 Donegan vs. Cummins
Ita Wallace Trophy (Plate)
Round 1 - Sunday, 17 June
- Leah Temple Lang (Elm Park) beat Una Marsden (Tullamore) 4&2
- Anna Foster (Elm Park) beat Clodagh Walsh (Castlewarden) 3&2
- Mary Doyle (The Heath) beat Lauren Murray (Delgany) 2&1
- Jean O’Driscoll (Muskerry) beat Corrina Griffin (Killarney) 3&2
- Katie Poots (Knock) beat Emma Thorne (Elm Park) 2&1
- Lisa O’Shea (Shannon) beat Claire McGonagle (Portsalon) 3&2
- Sarah Burke (Mullingar) beat Emma Fenlon (Grange) 2&1
- Elisa Corcoran (Grange) beat Olivia McCrystal (Holywood) 8&6
Quarterfinals — Sunday, 17 June
- Temple Lang beat Foster 3&2
- Doyle beat O’Driscoll 3&2
- O’Shea beat Poots 2 holes
- Corcoran beat Burke 2&1
Semi-finals — Monday, 18 June
- 08:30 Temple Lang vs. Doyle,
- 08:39 O’Shea vs. Corcoran