Royal Tara claimed the Mary McKenna Diamond Trophy Foursomes on the 19th when they beat Belvoir Park 3-2 in a thrilling All Ireland final at Woodenbridge.
Marion Cleary and Geraldine Onofri put Royal Tara ahead with a 7 and 5 win over Julie Morrison and Una O’Hara before Violet McBride and Anne Stewart replied with Belvoir Park with a 2 and 1 win over Paula Kennedy and Ada Davis.
But while Jane Hughes and Breda McGuinness edged Royal Tara ahead again with a 2 and 1 win over Susan Cashman and Honor Ross, the Ulster champions levelled the scores at 2-2 when Joan McVeigh and Betty Cowan beat Colette Bedford and Irene Giles 2 and 1 in the anchor match.
The All Ireland title hinged on the penultimate match and it was Royal Tara who claimed victory with Mary Bannon and Ann Donnelly edging out Carmel McCavanagh and Jill Parton at the 19th.
Belvoir Park beat Thurles on the 19th in their semi-final on Saturday as Royal Tara saw off Tuam
But Tuam beat Thurles 3-5-1.5 to take third place after what was a highly successful event at the scenic Co Wicklow course.
A large number of club members and team supporters attended an impressive opening ceremony on Friday evening which saw the four provincial finalists — Belvoir Park (Ulster), Thurles (Munster), Royal Tara (Leinster) and Tuam (Connacht) — following their flag bearers, as they were piped across the bridge to the clubhouse.
The Mary McKenna Diamond Foursomes for senior lady golfers began in April and saw over 900 players take part.
The clubs compete initially at inter club county level and then go on to play for the provincial title and the chance to head to Woodenbridge for the All Ireland finals.
Mary McKenna Diamond Foursomes 2017, Woodenbridge Golf Club
Sponsored by Investec, The Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge and Cassidy Wines
Belvoir Park 2, Royal Tara 3
(Belvoir Park names first)
- Julie Morrison (10) & Una O’Hara (20) lost to Marion Cleary (8) & Geraldine Onofri (26) 7/5
- Violet McBride (6) & Anne Stewart (17) bt Paula Kennedy (14) & Ada Davis (22) 2/1
- Susan Cashman (14) & Honor Ross (21) lost to Jane Hughes (15) & Breda McGuinness (16) 2/1
- Carmel McCavanagh (16) & Jill Parton (20) lost to Mary Bannon (15) & Ann Donnelly (26) 19th
- Joan McVeigh (13) & Betty Cowan (26) bt Colette Bedford (19) & Irene Giles (21) 2 /1
3rd and 4th Playoff
Thurles 1.5, Tuam 3.5
(Thurles names first)
- Margaret Corcoran (15) & Peggy Kirby (25) lost to Joan Tighe (18) & Fionnuala Walsh (24) 19th
- Dympna Miley (18) & Joan Butler (25) lost to Mary Bollard (21) & Mary Gannon (23) 2/1
- Jacqui Hennessy (24) & Mary Phelan (25) lost to Rita Tierney (21) & Mary McDonagh (27) 1 up
- Anne Hackett (22) & Delia Carroll (25) halved with Anneta O’Neill (14) & Helen Byrne (29) Called In
- Anna Stapleton (21) & Jean Butler (28) bt Maureen Donnelly (22) & Dolly Campbell (25) 7/6