While butcher Graham Nugent will be looking to bring home the bacon and Eddie Power will be seeking his seventh win, home hopes may rest with the improving Luke Donnelly in Saturday's Kilkenny Senior Scratch Cup.
Nugent won last year, joining the prolific Power, Paul O'Hara, Jim Mahon, David McDonald, Tom Deegan Jnr and Michael Buggy on the list of Kilkenny winners of a trophy that was inaugurated in 1964 when another Kilkenny man, Tom Duggan, came out on top
The great Joe Carr won in 1965 before the likes of Bryan Malone, Liam Higgins, John O'Leary, Martin D O'Brien, Damien McGrane, Pat Mulcare, Paraic O'Rourke, Liam MacNamara, Mark Gannon, Padraig Harrington and Eddie Dunne added their names to a prestigious roll of honour over the years.
Harrington's caddie Ronan Flood also got his name on the trophy in 1998, six years after his future boss.
Now Kilkenny may be looking to Donnelly to make his mark and he is certainly a leading candidate for the €700 winner's voucher after he showed some form by finishing fourth in last weekend's Munster Strokeplay Championship at Cork Golf Club.
Kilkenny Scratch Cup, Saturday, May 6 — 36 holes
Check in at 7.30am. Shotgun Start at 8.45am
- 1st Graham Nugent (Kilkenny/Scr), Michael Buggy (Castlecomer/+1), Kieran Kennedy (Thurles/+2)
- 2nd Anthony Feicks (Waterford/2), Richard Walsh (Kilkenny/1), Gary Collins (Rosslare/+3)
- 3rd Eddie McCormack (Galway Bay/+2), Daragh Coghlan (Portmarnock/Scr), Evan Hughes (Thurles/2)
- 4th Michael Ryan (New Ross/+2), Gavin Smyth (Clonmel/+2), Keith Birmingham (Castletroy/2)
- 4th Daragh Walsh (Castletroy/3), Richard Finn (Newbridge/+1), Brendan Rossiter (Rosslare/+3)
- 5th Ian Lynch (Rosslare/+1), Ruairi O’Connor (Co Sligo/Scr), Philip Spratt (West Waterford/2)
- 6th Billy McGarry (Nenagh/+1), Dan Murphy (Portarlington/+3), Declan O’Neill (Carton House/Scr)
- 7th David McDonald (Old Conna/+1), Cathal Butler (Kinsale/+2), Kieran Lynch (Skibbereen/+1)
- 8th Joe McDonald (Bray/2), Harry Duggan (Kilkenny/1), Karl McCormack (Portarlington/Scr)
- 9th Eoin O’Brien (Clontarf/1), Cathal Conaty (Royal Dublin/2), Declan Reidy (Co Sligo/+1)
- 10th Lar Ryan (Rathdowney/1), Conor McGrogan (Newbridge/2), Daire Conlon (Dunmurry Springs/3)
- 10th Liam Power (Galway/1), Jason Brennan (Castlecomer/3), Mark Shanahan (Castlemartyr/+1)
- 11th Paraic Connelly (Killeen Castle/1), Ryan O’Dwyer (Mt Juliet/2), Barry McCormack (Dunmurry Springs/3)
- 12th Richard Knightly (Royal Dublin/+1), Paul Coughlan (Moate/+2), Cian Martin (Rosslare/3)
- 13th John Greene (Portmarnock/+1), Mark Mullen (Rosslare/+1), Jonas Sheutz (Kramstal-Austria/Scr)
- 13th Stephen Walsh (Portmarnock/+1), Hugh Foley (Royal Dublin/Scr), Charlie McGoldrick (Enniscrone/3)
- 14th Derek Ronan (New Ross/2), Richard Duggan (Kilkenny/2), David McAleenon (Edenmore/2)
- 15th Stephen Healy (Royal Dublin/+2), Jamie Dunne (Borris/2), Ger Lawlor (Newbridge/+1)
- 15th Alan Phelan (Rathdowney/+1), Neil Cashin (Tramore/2), Richard Louis Duggan (Kilkenny/3)
- 16th Kevin Power (Kilkenny/2), Cian Seeney (Co Sligo/2), Joseph Byrne (Baltinglass/1)
- 17th Eddie Power (Kilkenny/1), Paul Flynn (Tramore/+1), Aaron Cashin (Tramore/2)
- 18th Paul O’Hara (Kilkenny/Scr), Luke Donnelly (Kilkenny/+2), Paul Behan (St Anne’s/Scr).