Rory McIlroy might not qualify for the PGA Tour’s season-ending Tour Championship but he won’t be stuck for playing opportunities over the last few months of the year.
He’s expected to play in the Asian Tour’s CJ Invitational hosted by K.J. Choi at Nine Bridges in Korea from October 10-13 and today was confirmed for the OneAsia Tour’s Kolon Korea Open at Woo Jeong Hills Country Club from October 17 - 20.
From there he will head to China and Shanghai for two events on the European Tour and an exhibition against Tiger Woods.
Following the $7m BMW Masters at Lake Malaren in Shanghai (Oct 24- 27) he will play Woods in an October 28 exhibition at Mission Hills - the kitty was extimated at $2m when McIlroy beat the American by a shot last year - and then play the $8.5m WGC - HSBC Champions at Sheshan International GC in Shanghai from October 31 to November 3.
The BMW Masters and HSBC Champions appearances should ensure that McIlroy qualifies for the European Tours’ season-ending, $8m DP World Tour Championship in Dubai.
But there’s still more to come for the world No 4.
He’s confirmed that he will play the OneAsia Tour’s AUD $1,250,000 Emirates Australian Open at Royal Sydney Golf Club from November 28 to December 1 and is also expected to end his year at Woods’ $4m Northwestern Mutual World Challenge at Sherwood CC from December 5 - 8.
In total, that’s seven 72-hole tournaments and a one-day exhibition in the space of 60 days for events with a total prize fund of more than $30 million.
Rory McIlroy’s proposed end-of-season schedule 2013
- Oct 10 - 13 CJ Invitational hosted by K.J. Choi, Haesley Nine Bridges, Yeoju, Korea, US$750,000 (Asian Tour)
- Oct 17 - 20 Kolon Korea Open, Woo Jeong Hills Country Club, KRW 1,000,000,000 (US$922,000) (OneAsia Tour)
- Oct 24- 27 BMW Masters presented by SRE Group, Lake Malaren Golf Club,Shanghai,China $7,000,000 (European Tour)
- Oct 28 - Exhibition v Tiger Woods at Mission Hills, Hainan Island, China $2m* (*estimated)
- Oct 31 - Nov 3 WGC - HSBC Champions, Sheshan International GC, Shanghai, China $8,500,000 (European Tour)
- Nov 14 - 17 DP WORLD TOUR CHAMPIONSHIP, DUBAI, Jumeirah Golf Estates, United Arab Emirates $8,000,000 (European Tour)
- Nov 28-Dec 1 Emirates Australian Open, Royal Sydney Golf Club, AUD $1,250,000 (OneAsia Tour)
- Dec 5 - 8 Northwestern Mutual World Challenge, Sherwood CC, Thousand Oaks, CA Purse: $4 million