EPD Tour — Headfort's Rory McNamara is chasing his second win of the season after a second successive 66 gave him a share of the lead with a round to go in the Gut Bissenmoor Classic in Hamburg.
The former North and West of Ireland champion shares top spot on 10 under with Mathieu Fenasse of France, one clear of German amateur Claudio Consul.
All three Irish make cut in Sweden
Challenge Tour — Brian Casey made an eagle two in a two under 70 to make the cut on the mark as Gavin Moynihan and Kevin Phelan slipped back in the Swedish Challenge hosted by Robert Karlsson.
As Moynihan shot a 75 and Phelan a 73 to slip to tied 49th on one under, Casey’s 70 helped him make the cut on the level par limit.
Jeff Karlsson made a late charge up the leaderboard to claim top spot at the halfway stage, carding a four under par 68 to lead by one on nine under from compatriot Johan Edfors, Finland’s Kalle Samooja and England’s Ben Stow.
Swedish Challenge hosted by Robert Karlsson, Katrineholms Golfklubb (Par 72)
135 J Karlsson (Swe) 67 68,
136 J Edfors (Swe) 68 68, K Samooja (Fin) 70 66, B Stow (Eng) 69 67,
137 B Hellgren (Swe) 69 68, A Rai (Eng) 69 68,
138 P Angles (Esp) 70 68, O Lengden (Swe) 70 68, T Gornik (Slo) 70 68, D Stewart (Sco) 70 68,
139 S Soderberg (Swe) 67 72, S Tiley (Eng) 70 69, T Detry (Bel) 69 70, M Wiegele (Aut) 71 68, G King (Eng) 70 69, J Lima (Por) 73 66, J Stalter (Fra) 70 69, R Langasque (Fra) 71 68, T Murray (Eng) 67 72
T49 MOYNIHAN, Gavin Mount Wolseley GC 68 75 143
T49 PHELAN, Kevin Mt Juliet 70 73 143
T56 CASEY, Brian 74 70 144
Hoey falls in last 16 at Archerfield
European Tour — Michael Hoey beat Matthew Southgate 2 and 1 in the second round but fell 4 and 3 to James Morrison in the last 16 of the Aberdeen Asset Management Paul Lawrie Match Play at Archerfield.
Alex Noren is eyeing a rare Scottish double at the Aberdeen Asset Management Paul Lawrie Match Play just four weeks after lifting the Scotland’s national Open championship.
The Swede continued his love affair with the Home of Golf on the links turf of Archerfield as he dispatched Italian Renato Paratore and Spaniard Nacho Elvira in the second and third rounds of the straight knock-out competition to charge into the quarter-finals.
Noren will face Johan Carlsson in the last eight after his fellow Swede took the scalps of home favourite Marc Warren and Englishman Chris Paisley on day two of the €1 million event.
Tournament host Paul Lawrie was shown the second round exit door by Australian Richard Green, who birdied the 18th hole to force extra holes and defeat the 1999 Open champion in sudden-death.
Green’s joy was short lived though, with Englishman Anthony Wall, who had triumphed over Richard Bland earlier in the day, giving Green a taste of his own medicine by winning their match at the first extra hole.
Wall will face Hayden Porteous of South Africa in the quarter-finals after Porteous defeated David Horsey and then Scotland’s Marc Warren to progress to the last eight.
The other two quarter-finals will be contested between Max Kieffer (who defeated Miko Ilonen and Daniel Brooks) and Oli Fisher (winner over Simon Khan and Richie Ramsay); while James Morrison defeated Graeme Storm and Michael Hoey to set up a last eight battle with Alejandro Cañizares after the Spaniard took down countryman Eduardo De La Riva before despatching Ryder Cup hopeful Matt Fitzpatrick in round three.
Number one seed Chris Wood, another player who looks likely to represent Europe at Hazeltine in September, also made an early exit – going down 2&1 to Brooks in round two.
Round two results
- Marc Warren (SCO) bt Magnus Carlsson (SWE) 3 & 2
- Haydn Porteous (RSA) bt David Horsey (ENG) 3 & 2
- Michael Hoey (NIR) bt Matthew Southgate (ENG) 2 & 1
- James Morrison (ENG) bt Graeme Storm (ENG) 4 & 3
- Richie Ramsay (SCO) bt Roope Kakko (FIN) 2 UP
- Oliver Fisher (ENG) bt Simon Khan (ENG) 2 & 1
- Chris Paisley (ENG) bt Prom Meesawat (THA) 1 UP
- Johan Carlsson (SWE) bt Robert Rock (ENG) 2 & 1
- Anthony Wall (ENG) bt Richard Bland (ENG) 6 & 4
- Richard Green (AUS) bt Paul Lawrie (SCO) 19th hole
- Matthew Fitzpatrick (ENG) bt Matt Ford (ENG) 6 & 5
- Alejandro Canizares (ESP) bt Eduardo De La Riva (ESP) 4 & 3
- Daniel Brooks (ENG) bt Chris Wood (ENG) 2 & 1
- Maximilian Kieffer (GER) bt Mikko Ilonen (FIN) 2 UP
- Alex Noren (SWE) bt Renato Paratore (ITA) 4 & 3
- Nacho Elvira (ESP) bt Craig Lee (SCO) 20th hole
Round three results
- Hayden Porteous (RSA) bt Marc Warren (SCO) 1 UP
- James Morrison (ENG) bt Michael Hoey (NIR) 4 & 3
- Oliver Fisher (ENG) bt Richie Ramsay (SCO) 3 & 1
- Johan Carlsson (SWE) bt Chris Paisley (ENG) 4 & 3
- Anthony Wall (ENG) bt Richard Green (AUS) 19th hole
- Alejandro Cañizares (ESP) bt Matthew Fitzpatrick (ENG) 4 & 3
- Maximilian Kieffer (GER) bt Daniel Brooks (ENG) 2 & 1
- Alex Noren (SWE) bt Nacho Elvira (ESP) 2 & 1
- 07:50 AM: Maximilian Kieffer (GER) vs Oliver Fisher (ENG)
- 08:00 AM: Anthony Wall (ENG) vs Haydn Porteous (RSA)
- 08:10 AM: Alex Noren (SWE) vs Johan Carlsson (SWE)
- 08:20 AM: Alejandro Cañizares (ESP) v James Morrison (ENG)