British Boys Championship — Thomas Mulligan bowed out 3 and 1 to England's Danny Daniels in the last 32.
The County Louth star was one of three Irish players to make the matchplay but Marc McKinstry and Mark Power fell in the first and second rounds respectively.
Daniels went on to beat compatriot Arrun Singh Brar 3 and 1 In blustery, wet conditions.
Daniels said: “I’m really happy, I played some really good golf there. I managed to grind out the result in the end and played great. I holed some putts to save par. I’m really happy to get this far.
“I’m just taking one game at a time and I’m happy to be here at Muirfield and enjoy the experience, it’s not every day you get to play here. We’ll see how we go tomorrow and just enjoy it.”
Daniels plays Spain's Alejandro Aguilera in today's quarterfinals after the Spaniard knock out holder Marcus Svensson of Sweden by one hole. Scores
Julie falls at 19th
Girls’ British Open Amateur Championship — Forrest Little's Julie McCarthy beat Lilly Marie Koester (Germany) in the opening round but fell to number 2 seed Madelene Stavnar (Norway) in the final 32 on the 19th.
Ireland’s other qualifiers, Valerie Clancy (Killarney) and Niamh McSherry (Lurgan) failed to progress past the first round of match play.
- Julie McCarthy (Forrest Little) lost to Madelene Stavnar (Norway) on the 19th
- Niamh McSherry (Lurgan) lost to Isobel Wardle (England) 3&2
- Valerie Clancy (Killarney) lost to Emilie Alba Paltrinieri (Italy) 4&3
- Julie McCarthy (Forrest Little) beat Lilly Marie Koester (Germany) 3&2
- 26th – 73, 74 Valerie Clancy
- 31st – 76, 72 Julie McCarthy
- 57th – 71, 80 Niamh McSherry
- 67th – 77, 76 Annabel Wilson
- 97th – 78, 79 Mairead Martin