Dooks Golf Club filled a 126-year void on Saturday when they captured the Irish Mixed Foursomes Munster title on their home course — the first Cups and Shields pennant in the club's 126-year history.
The hosts played well in testing conditions in the afternoon final against Castletroy, one which featured heavy rain and strong winds on the historic links course, running out winners by 3.5 matches to 1.5.
Dooks put points on the board thanks to win from Karl Falvey and Eileen Breen and Pat Griffin and Joan Harmon before Castletroy won a point with Fergal Costelloe and Grainne Forde winning on the 16th.
The deciding match was to be the top match with Dooks’ Endy Curtayne and Tracy Eakin holding a one-hole lead going up the 18th.
Castletroy ran into some trouble around the green which left the home side with two putts for a half and a win overall.
Enda Curtayne stepped up and despite having two putts he calmly holed a seven foot putt to close the match.
Dooks was in excellent condition for the prestigious competition, the stiff breeze scattered showers in the morning added to the test of the links course to provide all golfers with challenging conditions for the matchplay event.
In the morning semi-final matches the home side had a good win over Skibbereen by 3.5 to 1.5.
Dooks took out an early lead in three matches and although Skibbereen fought back and forced the first match to the 19th, the tie was finally settled on the 18th green when Denis McGillicuddy and Jenny Piggott won to give Dooks the decisive third point.
Castletroy made it through to the final with a 3-2 win over Cahir Park.
Castletroy’s Rachel Maher sunk a crucial 15-foot putt on the 18th green to secure the Limerick club’s passage through to the final. In many ways the day was preparation for the club as they host the national finals in September and they now they can look forward to the event knowing that they will be participating and in with a chance to add a national title to their Munster title.
Jim Long from the Munster Branch GUI thanked the Officers, members and staff of Dooks Golf Club for their hospitality and professionalism in hosting the event, adding that the course was in excellent condition.
He thanked Tournament Director Eric Brick and Referees Marian Pattenden (ILGU) and Michael Coote (GUI), and he thanked all of the team for such a sporting contest.
Dooks Captain Willie Murphy was delighted to accept the pennant, the first Cups and Shields pennant in the club's 126-year history.
Team Manager Mary Keane thanked all the players, those who played on the day and those who didn’t for their commitment.
She singled out the Captain, who was present at every practice match, and thanked all of the members for their great support.
The 2015 Cups and Shields journey continues next weekend when Dungarvan play host to the Munster finals of the AIG Senior Cup, AIG Junior Cup and AIG Barton Shield.
Irish Mixed Foursomes sponsored by Spanish Tourist Board
Dooks beat Castletroy 3.5-1.5
- Enda Curtayne & Tracy Eakin beat Tony Delaney & Eimear Costelloe 2 up
- Paul Griffin & Mary Inglis lost to Fergal Costelloe & Grainne Forde 3&2
- Denis McGillicuddy & Jenny Piggott halved Keith Bermingham & Mary Quinlan
- Pat Griffin & Joan Harmon beat Brendan Reidy & Mary Bermingham 2&1
- Karl Falvey & Eileen Breen beat Gerard Maher & Rachel Maher 5&4
Semi-final: Dooks beat Skibbereen 3.5 – 1.5
- Enda Curtayne & Tracy Eakin beat Darren O’Brien & Eileen O’Regan, 19th
- Pat Riordan & Maura Shanahan halved with Liam Quirke & Maura Dwyer
- Karl Falvey & Eileen Breen beat Joe O’Sullivan & Mary Crowley 1 up
- Denis McGillicuddy & Jenny Piggott beat Thomas Foley & Hilda Hegarty 2 up
- Derek Kelly & Ogie O’Sullivan lost to John McNamara & Rhona O’Donoghue 3&2
Semi-final: Castletroy beat Cahir Park 3-2
- Dean McMahon & Alice O’Dwyer lost to Declan Walsh & Catherine Fitzgerald 3&1
- Tony Delaney & Eimear Costelloe lost to Emmet Leahy & Michelle Keating 4&2
- Keith Bermingham & Mary Quinlan beat Noel Halley & Susan Carey 3&2
- Brendan Reidy & Mary Bermingham beat Peter Gaffney & Emma Keating 1 up
- Gerard Maher & Rachel beat Maher Brian McKeon & Marie Keating 1 up
Semi-Final Pictures (Cork Golf News)