UCD have emerged as the dominant force in the GUI and ILGU’s Irish Intervarsity Competition Programme in the 2014-2015, something that has been confirmed by their victory at the Irish Colleges Match Play Championship at Woodbrook.
After Alex Gleeson’s superb performance in dominating the field at the Irish Intervarsity Championship at The European Club less than a month ago, the Castle star played his part in helping his college to victory against Maynooth University B in the final of the event.
Maynooth University (b) had earlier beaten Maynooth University A in a point-proving semi-final performance against a very strong A side that included current internationals Robin Dawson and Gary Hurley, the latter a Walker Cup prospect in 2015.
UCD, meanwhile, defeated UCC in the other semi-final to set up the final clash.
The bedrock of UCD’s victory in the final was the performances of the back three – John McCarthy, Jonathan Yates and Gleeson – all of whom won their matches comfortably by 4/2, 4/3 and 4/3 respectively.
Earlier, McCarthy and Gleeson were also victorious against UCC opposition, as was Ted Collins, the final green hero of UCD’s victory over Ulster University in the last eight the previous day.
In the Irish Colleges Plate final, earlier, Queens University defeated IT Carlow in an entertaining match.
Irish Colleges Match Play Championship, Woodbrook
Maynooth University A 2, Maynooth University B 3
- Robin Dawson beat Kieran Lynch 9/7
- Jack Walsh lost to Darragh Congdon 4/3
- Gary Hurley beat Stephen Kinch 4/3
- Stuart Grehan lost to Sean Walsh 19th
- Sean Flanagan lost to Eoghan O’Donovan 2/1
University College Dublin 3.5, University College Cork 1.5
- John Conroy lost to Ben Murray 5/4
- Ted Collins beat Paul Tobin 3/1
- John McCarthy beat Jean O’Driscoll 3/1
- Jonathan Yates halved with Paul McCarthy
- Alex Gleeson beat Greg O’Mahony 3/2
Maynooth University B 1.5, University College Dublin 3.5
- Stephen Kinch halved with John Conroy
- Darragh Congdon beat Ted Collins 2/1
- Jack McDonnell lost to John McCarthy 4/2
- Eoghan O’Donovan lost to Jonathan Yates 4/3
- Sean Walsh lost to Alex Gleeson 4/3
Queens University 4, IT Carlow 1
- Jessica Ross beat Kevin Holland 6/4
- Jamie Sutherland beat Jack Alton 4/2
- Adam Brown beat Brian Doran 4/2
- Jack McLean halved with David Fitzgerald
- Chris Morgan halved with Cathal O’Neill