Chris Selfridge's magnificent rookie season ended horribly on the range in Valencia today when he hurt his wrist warming up and was forced to retire before the third round of his Second Stage European Tour Qualifier at El Saler.
The Moyola Park touring professional, 23, was tied for fifth place on five under at halfway and in with a great chance of claiming one of 18 spots from that venue in the Final Stage, which tees off next weekend at PGA Catalunya Resort.
Instead, the former University of Toledo man is heading home to rest and recover for a second bite of the cherry on the Challenge Tour in 2016, where he finished 52nd in the Road to Oman rankings by claiming cheques from each of his 12 starts this year.
"I'm not sure what happened and it's really upsetting but these things happen," a disconsolate Selfridge reported from El Saler. "I just hurt it on the range, tried to play but it was impossible.
"I have a full Challenge Tour category so I guess I will just focus now on getting fit for next season and chasing that Top 15 spot and a European Tour card through that route."
It's been a disappointing last few weeks for the former Irish Close, East of Ireland and two time North of Ireland winner, who looked destined to make the season-ending NBO Golf Classic Grand Final but missed out by little more €9,000 after a poor finish in his final event in China, The Foshan Open.
Forced to head to the Second Stage of Q-School as a result, he shot rounds of 70 and 69 at El Saler to sit comfortably inside the top 18 heading into today's third round when disaster struck.
2015 EUROPEAN TOUR SECOND QUALIFYING STAGE
- T15 (T3) Gavin MOYNIHAN The Island GC 68 73 (-3)
- T60 (T61) Michael McGEADY Northwest GC 76 73 (+5)
- RET T5 (T17) Chris SELFRIDGE Moyola Park 70 69 RET (-5)
Las Colinas Golf & Country Club, Alicante
- T46 (T56) Rory MCNAMARA La Cala Resort 73 70 (+1)
- T46 (T42) Richard KILPATRICK Banbridge GC 71 72 (+1)
- 3 (3) Brian CASEY Headfort GC 65 68 (-11)
- T41 (T48) Jack HUME (AM) Naas GC 72 70 (-2)
- T46 (T13) Jonathan CALDWELL Clandeboye GC 68 75 (-1)
- T54 (T13) Colm CAMPBELL JNR (AM) Warrenpoint 68 76 (E)
- T13 (T39) Paul DUNNE Hartl Resort, Bad Griesbach 70 66 (-6)
- T31 (T14) Gary HURLEY West Waterford GC 68 70 (-4)
- T34 (T14) Alan DUNBAR Team Ireland 68 71 (-3)